RNIB Bookshare recommends ...
Marvellous monthly resources!
Want to plan a special topical lesson and need to find some interesting resources? Maybe you want to know what's happening with our fun events calendar, or maybe you just like our 'Whose Birthday is it' section for famous authors?
Have fun! ( and let us know if we can add anything to this feature!)
Resources for what's happening in February
It's February, are you in the mood for love? Valentines Day is 14th February for all things romantic!
We also celebrate this month as LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) History Month. This year's theme is Peace, Activism and Reconciliation. We have a wonderful selection of accessible titles, for all educational stages in our lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender subject category.
Authors birthdays in February include a man with 'Great expectations' this month, another who loves an adventure in 80 days and someone who should not be 'miserable' on his birthday.
- 5 February: Celebrate Chinese New Year with our accessible large print and tactile images of a traditional Chinese Dragon in a street procession
- 7 February: Charles Dickens's birthday (born 1812), a British institution as the author of A Christmas Carol, Oliver Twist and so many more. We have so many of his titles in so many editions, all of them accessible. Who could ask for more? … ‘You want more?!!’
- 8 February: is Jules Verne's birthday (1828), author of ‘Around the World in Eighty Days’, ‘Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea’. Why not have an adventure with Filius Fogg?
- 12 February: It’s Charles Darwin's Birthday. He was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He authored the revolutionary 'The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection'. Ever read it? Here is an accessible format of the title.
- 14 February: As its Valentines Day, maybe you are in the mood for romance? Check out an accessible title from our romance section.
- 21 February: Shrove Tuesday … Pancake Day! Before you start flipping, why not check out a recipe book from our Cooking, Food and Wine section.
- 26 February: Victor Hugo's birthday, born this day in 1802. Most famous as an author of Les Misérables, which was recently produced as a major BBC drama.
Resources for what's happening in January
- 13 January: The author of 'Paddington', Michael Bond was born, on this day in 1926. Enjoy a Marmalade sandwich and have a read on RNIB Bookshare!
- 14 January: It's famous author Lewis Carroll's birthday. He wrote the wonderful 'Alice' books in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, why not enjoy a trip down the rabbit hole!
- 18 January: We know Christmas is over, but it is Raymond Briggs birthday, so we are 'Walking in the Air' with the Snowman!
- 21 January: Martin Luther King Day, celebrating the life and achievements of Martin Luther King Jr, the influential American civil rights leader. On RNIB Bookshare we have books and this wonderful accessible image of the great man
- 27 January: Holocaust Memorial Day remembers the six million Jews murdered during the Holocaust in World War 2. We have lots of resources to help you discover more.
We love 'The Diary of Anne Frank' who was a thirteen-year-old Jewish girl. Its of the most famous accounts, of living under the Nazi regime of World War II.
- 28 January: On this day in 1813 - Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen was published, is it one of your favourites? Indulge on RNIB Bookshare!