Resources for what's happening in February
It's February, are you in the mood for love? Valentines Day is 14th February for all things romantic!
We also celebrate this month as LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) History Month. This year's theme is Peace, Activism and Reconciliation. We have a wonderful selection of accessible titles, for all educational stages in our lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender subject category.
Authors birthdays in February include a man with 'Great expectations' this month, another who loves an adventure in 80 days and someone who should not be 'miserable' on his birthday.
- 7 February: Charles Dickens's birthday (born 1812), a British institution as the author of A Christmas Carol, Oliver Twist and so many more. We have so many of his titles in so many editions, all of them accessible. Who could ask for more? … ‘You want more?!!’
- 8 February: is Jules Verne's birthday (1828), author of ‘Around the World in Eighty Days’, ‘Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea’. Why not have an adventure with Filius Fogg?
- 12 February: It’s Charles Darwin's Birthday. He was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He authored the revolutionary 'The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection'. Ever read it? Here is an accessible format of the title.
- 14 February: As its Valentines Day, maybe you are in the mood for romance? Check out an accessible title from our romance section.
- 25 February: Shrove Tuesday … Pancake Day! Before you start flipping, why not check out a recipe book from our Cooking, Food and Wine section.
- 26 February: Victor Hugo's birthday, born this day in 1802. Most famous as an author of Les Misérables, which was recently produced as a major BBC drama.