Struggling and reluctant readers
In this section we have found some books which help children who find reading difficult which are accessible, enjoyable and unpatronizing short books whether the learner may be dyslexic, struggling to read, or simply reluctant to sit down with a book.
The Book Trust
The following book lists have been taken from the Book Trust, the UK's largest reading charity who reach 3.9 million children each year with books, resources and support to help develop a love of reading.:
- Book Trust: Reluctant readers (younger children)
- Book Trust: Reluctant readers (older children)
- Book Trust: Reluctant readers (12+)
From our collection
Below are some of the ttles suggested on the Book Trust reluctant readers Booklists. We have requested many more of the titles they listed and as we get them from publishers we will add them to our collections, So keep checking!
- Reluctant or struggling readers collection: 5-8 years - interest age 6-8+/reading age 6+.
- Reluctant or struggling readers collection: 9-12 years - interest age 8-10+/reading age 7+.
- Reluctant or struggling readers collection: Teens - interest age 9-13+/reading age 9+.
Barrington Stoke are publishers who are well known for providing titles that are accessible to learners who find reading difficult, either with dyslexia, reluctant or struggling due to other conditions.
Rapid and PapidPlus
Pearson Education have Rapid and RapidPlus reading schemes also help struggling and disadvantaged children with SEN catch up in reading. They have age approriate content in a dyslexia friendly design.