How to use RNIB Bookshare on an Android device
It's a great to be able to read RNIB Bookshare downloaded titles on an electronic device such as a tablet or phone.
iPads, iPhones and other Apple devices are great and very easy to download and read with.
Android devices are not quite as straightforward to use as multiple Google products are needed, and those products will contain adverts, so your learner may need support to learn to navigate them.
For PDF titles
- Log into RNIB Bookshare through the internet browser access in the normal way. As you are accessing the site through a browser, your learner will have access to their reading list.
- Download the title to an already established Google Drive, this is a free file storage service.
- Open the title in Google Play Books, this is an app to be able to read and purchase ebooks, it is able to use the accessible PDF files on RNIB Bookshare.
Depending on your device, for example a ChromeBook, these products may already be on the device.
For other file types
We think that Dolphin Easyreader,is a great easy to use accessible reading app. Dolphin are a well-known assistive technology provider. EasyReader is a free app available on the App Store. We think that it's really a really nice experience for downloading and e-reader.
- On opening Dolphin EasyReader, log into RNIB Bookshare using your username and password.
- Search for the title you need. Your reading list will not be available to you.
- The app will automatically select to download the DAISY file format.
- Once downloaded it will open the file in their accessible E-reader. Which can be personalised to an individual's font/reading preferences.