Copyright guidance for submitting Items
This page sets out the conditions under which you can upload Items onto UK education collection for the purpose of sharing them with print-disabled learners and those supporting them only, agreeing to abide by these conditions allowing UK education collection to contribute your file(s).
When submitting books
- be eligible to be covered by The Copyright and Rights in Performances (Disability) Regulations 2014, which amended The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 and repealed The Copyright (Visually Impaired Persons) Act 2002, or
- have received Publisher Permission, or
- be the copyright holding Publisher.
In addition, you must:
- check that no suitable commercial edition is already available;
- check the Item you are uploading is virus free;
- only upload Items for the purpose of supporting print-disabled learners;
- ensure that accessible changes to the Item respect the author’s intentions and do not amount to a derogatory treatment of the work;
- include the copyright legend and acknowledgement. This must include the name of the author and the publisher as it appears on the original from which you made the accessible copy, and a copyright statement.
You may NOT
- Upload Items which have a suitable alternative commercial edition already available.
Please note that whilst the author retains copyright in the Work, the original publisher has the exclusive publishing rights in the Work, and also has the copyright in the design, layout and typography. As such, the publisher is entitled to take legal action should illegitimate copies of the work be distributed by yourself or any third party, or should you be found otherwise in breach of their rights.
You can also download the Copyright changes, disability exceptions and library practice document produced by The Publisher's Association in partnership with JISC.
Copyright statement example
“This copy is made under the terms of the Copyright and Rights in Performances (Disability) Regulations 2014 to be used only by a print-disabled person. Except as permitted by law, it may not be further copied, nor may it be supplied to any other person, without permission.”
“This copy is made available by Publisher Permission to be used by print-disabled people only. Except as permitted by law, it may not be further copied, nor may it be supplied to any other person, without permission.”
What can you contribute?
- Published books, such as textbooks and novels.