Manual book submission guide for publishers
Here is a quick guide on how to upload books to the RNIB Bookshare UK education collection for publishers.
Any boxes not directly referred to can safely be ignored.
- Go to ‘My Homepage’
- Select ‘Volunteer Home’ from the left menu
From here you will be able to submit books to the RNIB Bookshare UK education collection.
If you are not taken to the ‘Submitting Books’ information page, please contact us (EdCollection@rnib.org.uk) and we will set up the ‘Publisher Permissions’ on your account.
- Select 'add books to the collection' to access the 'Add a Book' page.
- Step 1: Upload the File
- Select file by clicking ‘Browse’ and navigating to the file location on your computer.
- Leave scan quality as 'excellent'.
- Add an ISBN-13 (no spaces or dashes) which enables the system to populate some of the metadata boxes.
- IMPORTANT! ‘Bypass validation? If checked, this book will be placed directly into the approval queue’ – Check this box
- Select ‘Next’ (the page will change automatically once the file has uploaded).
- Step 2: General Book Information
- Add any related ISBN-13s (no spaces or dashes) where known.
- Complete the metadata fields (this should auto-fill, you will just need to edit information where necessary)
- Subtitle etc. (where appropriate)
- Language should be already set as English (change for foreign language books).
- Select ‘Next’
- Step 3: Distribution Rights
- Select appropriate 'Copyright License' box.
- For copyrighted files add 'Holder', 'Year' and 'Country of Origin' (default UK).
- 'Country Availability' is default United Kingdom. For wider distribution click 'Customize'. Either select 'Available Worldwide' or 'Restricted to'. Each of the five restricted areas will open further customisable options when selected. Select countries as appropriate. 'State Availability' refers to the USA.
- Select ‘Next’
- Step 4: Classification
- 'Categories' - at least one needs to be added if not already populated by the system. You can select 'Back' at any stage to check input.
- Select ‘submit’ A confirmation page will summarise some of the book information you have submitted.
- Select 'Add another book' or ‘Submit a Book’ to restart the process!
Please then send us a quick reply to our book request email to let us know you’ve uploaded the file, indicating where the ISBN-13 differs to the one in the original request. This allows us to update our customer and close the request